Monday, December 21, 2009

What is the best treatment for baby eczema?

My poor 8 month old suffers from awful eczema. We have tried everything. What have you found that works well?What is the best treatment for baby eczema?
cetaphil is the best, they have wash, and lotion for after the bath, works every time. my third baby had that, works fast too.What is the best treatment for baby eczema?
my 2 year old daughter has been suffering from eczema . my pediatrician prescribed this MYMYXX medication, , i applied it generously and within 3 days my babys skin is soft and on its way to recovery, i have tried ellidel , etc but this is the only one that worked. Report Abuse

Your eight month old may be allergic to dairy products. Stop the dairy for a week and see if it improves.
I asked my dermatologist and she recommended Cetaphil as well. They make a mild soap as well as moisturizers and creams.
My now 15mth old has had eczema since birth.Anything that touches his face breaks it out.His skin does well.I use a plain CVS brand soap on his body.IT works well wet or dry.I also put Eucerin lotion on him when he gets out of the tub.The dermatologist that he seen said you have 3mins after bathing to get the lotion on.This helps moisturize it better.If his skin is bad looking %26amp; bumpy i give him a bath with only water,pat him dry,never rub %26amp; i put the plain soap on him like a lotion.It makes a big difference in a few hours.The emoilents keep him soft.I do not use any creams,they do not work,they only irritate him.I try keeping blankets %26amp; anything else away from face.Sometimes i put lotion on it,most of the time i let his face clear on its own.Seems to do that within a day if i let it be.If he gets diaper rash from the eczema i only use vaseline,it is the only thing that does not make it worse %26amp; clears it right up.
I had to respond because my son had really bad eczema that started when he turned four months old. It's awful and I remember all those sleepless nights staying up with him so that he wouldn't scratch until he bled. I'm sure that you have been told that the odds are in your favor for your baby to outgrow it. I was told that, and honestly didn't believe it. My son is now 2.5 years old and is virtually eczema free. Hopefully, the same will be for your baby. I can completely sympathize with you.





Regarding treatment, we replaced all detergents/soaps/lotions with scent free, dye free products (All detergent, Aveeno soap, and Eucerin/Aquaphor...) We got rid of our dog and vacuumed very regularly. We would put thick baby sock on his hands so that he wouldn't scratch and kept his nails trimmed (he learned how to tear off those baby gloves) and when it got really bad, we would stay up with him and gently rub the itchy parts. We stopped giving him milk-based formula and I continued to breastfeed him. We were told that milk can trigger eczema and we didn't switch to soy because we were told that most babies who are allergic to milk are also allergic to soy.





At this point, we couldn't pinpoint what was causing the eczema because we were told that he was too young to have allergy tests done, so we tried ruling out all the usual suspects of allergens.





If your baby has open, oozing sores, I would recommend getting a prescription strength steroid cream. I remember feeling so uncomfortable using a steroid on my baby but he got so bad at one point that his sores got infected and then he was put on antibiotics...and that was much worse. Our pediatric dermatologist gave us this course of action when our son got really bad:


**apply a thin coat of the 2.5% coritisone cream along with a generous amount of Eucerin.


**as soon as the weeping sores dry up, continue with just the Eucerin


**no baths, only towel cleaning, keeping skin moisturized at all times


This was the only course of treatment that really worked well for us.





Now that our son is older, we had a RAST allergy test done and it ends up that our son is extremely allergic to dog dander. After we got rid of our dog, his skin cleared up within two months. If you have a feeling that there is something that is triggering his flareups, go with your intuition and try removing it from his environment...at least for a month.





Good luck!!!
calling a doctor.
We have a nice cream for her that is over the counter, Dexeryl, and then the pediatrician prescribed an additional cream for the worst parts - behind her knees. I've read through the other answers as I'm always interested to see what else I might do to help my daughter with her skin problem, and I just wanted to say our pediatrican actually countered some of the suggestions posted. He said to limit bathtime, that it is only to clean her and not a time to play in the water as water sucks out moisture. At her age she doesnt need a bath every day, and in fact we give baths only 3 to 4 times a day (of course cleaning her diaper area very well each time we change her). Immediately dry her very well and rub on plenty of her moisturizer. Also, to make sure her skin is NOT exposed to the sun as that makes it worse. Makes sense, as my skin becomes all dry when I'm in the sun too! We changed our laundry detergent to a special brand (french brand, they dont have it in the US where I assume you live) and that helped I think. Of course nothing goes on next to her skin other than soft cotton, no perfumed products. You've probably already tried all of that, and it is still a problem. I take it sometimes all we can do is wait for the problem to disappear on its own (continuing to follow what you already are doing of course). The important thing is that your son isnt in discomfort, so if he is scratching at his skin your pediatrician can prescribe a syrup to stop the itching.
My son had the same problem when he was about 6 months old. His skin was very patchy and red. We took him in to the dr and they gave us a prescription that works wonders! He is supposed to have it put on in the morning and in the evening before bed. Also, during the day, if we notice it has gotten dry again before he is supposed to have his medicine, we use Baby Aveeno lotion. He is pretty much down to just the lotion lately, and is looking great! The dr also said that exposeing the skin to sun will help the exzema, and also letting them run around with only a diaper when you are in the house, because the clothing can scratch and make the skin more dry. So, you could try the lotion first, and then if it doesnt work totally, you could just take him to the dr. I know, it looks bad and you feel bad for the baby, but the dr said it doesnt hurt him at all. Good luck!
My son had it very very bad when he was younger. The things that worked for me was oatmeal baths, using johnson%26amp;johnson soap and loation. Also Eucerin or Aquaphor. They worked good!! My son still obviously still has it and I use the all but the Aquaphor. There is also this new stuff out called ';gental naturals'; I would give it a try. I would also stay away from puting anything scented on him, that could be causing it as well. Hope this helped and good luck!!!
You could go to the doctors. They might write you a prescription, depending on how bad it is. My daughter has it and i use Eucerin. It works great. Hope that helps.
try gold bond medicated lotion. it works wonders
Have you tried a homeopathic or holistic practitioner who treats without drugs?? It may take a few to get to the bottom of what's causing it, but it'd be WELL worth it. Treating the symptoms won't solve the problem. That would be my choice if it were my child. I wouldn't put drugs on my child's skin or give them orally - you have no idea what long term damage could be. God bless you. ~Nise~
There's a product called Dermamed. It's all natural and works as good as cortisone without the harmful sideffects. I applied it 3 times a day to my sons eczema and it was gone in 3 days. You could also use something called Castile soap to wash your baby clothes in. Laundry detergent was the cause of my sons eczema. I had to stop using all fabric softners and detergents. Castile soap is so gentle that you could brush your teeth with it. You can also use it for baby shampoo.








Here's a link for the dermamed. It also tells you all the ingredients and how each one is helpful. It's truely wonderful stuff!! It says right on the bottle that it's safe for babies.


http://www.dermamed.com/browse/specialty鈥?/a>
I use to give mine oatmeal baths. lukewarm water, dry oatmeal in bath and let sit in it for a while.
Have you tried Cetaphil cream? That's what my daughter's pediatrician gave us.
I have 10 month old twins and my son has eczema and has since birth. I use Aveeno bath wash and lotion on him and it works wonderfully!! There are no perfumes but it has a lovely smell, very fresh.


One other thing I would recommend is if your baby enjoys baths and likes to play, make sure that you wash with the soap at the end of the bath. Let the baby play in just the plain water and then wash right before you take him/her out. The soap, even though it is a moisturizing, will still help the skin ';dry out';. Try lukewarm baths as well...never too hot as that pulls the moisture out of the skin - same goes for adults on that one too!


I also agree that if it is very extreme, check with your pediatrician as the doctor should have a ';super'; moisturizing cream that you can use.


Best of luck!! I know it can be trying, but keep your chin up!!
BABY CARE


Infantile Eczema


Wild ChildTM








The word eczema comes from the ancient Greek meaning ';to boil over';. Eczema is a general term which, to most people, means a diffuse rash or inflammation of the skin, which causes redness and intense itching. The most common type of eczema in children is atopic eczema. In early childhood, the rash is often present over the face, limbs or trunk.





For baby, eczema can be an uncomfortable and distressing condition. The cycle of mild skin irritation followed by scratching and uiltimately infection is all too common. There is no cure for eczema as such, however for some lucky individuals the condition disappears after a couple of years. For others a lifelong treatment routine is the only answer.





Generally health professionals recommend the use of emollients as a first-line treatment. Emollients are products which moisturise and soften the skin. They restore the elasticity and suppleness and help to reduce the itching and scratching. Emollients are safe and should be used frequently. Emollients include:








a bath/baby oil*, with regular once or twice daily baths


a soap substitute, such as aqueous cream


a moisturiser applied liberally to all areas of dry skin, at least twice daily and if possible more frequently.


The application of prescription medication to aid in the reduction of inflammation is also recommended in some cases. Because of baby's low body weight and intolerance to certain drugs and chemicals, advice should be sought from a health care professional before the application of any strong medication.





RELATED TOPICS


Cradle Cap


Nappy Rash








Wild Child


Cradle Cap Oil





Wild Child


Nappy Rash Cream








Wild Child


Baby Wash








Wild Child


Soothing Oil








BABYCARE BOOKS

















*NOTE: When choosing a baby oil it is best to choose one made from natural oils as many commonly available baby oils are made from liquid paraffin which is a derivative of crude oil. Recent critical claims by various manufacturers and authorities have seen a decline in the use of paraffins in cosmetics.
Isn't it awful,all of my 6 children have eczema.It is really important to keep their skin dry.I use oatmeal bath,soap,and lotion


for them.I notice around the winter months it gets worse.I have a cream from their doctor to use when it gets really bad,it has an anti itch agent in it,i believe it is hydrocortisone that is one of the ingredients.Try aveno products
  • school myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment