Sunday, December 13, 2009

My cat has eczema and need treatment advice?

My vet gave her an injection for her eczema which did clear up the condition on her head above her right eye and her fur grew back nicely. But the base of her tail remained is getting worse and I cannot afford the treatment again as the injection was expensive with the vet fee as well.


Would eczema cream for humans be just as good to use on her tail where the eczema is?My cat has eczema and need treatment advice?
If she is scratching and uncomfortable, there are over-the-counter anti-histamines that are suitable for cats and dogs eg- Periactin. Just check with the local pharmacist on the dosage, as it varies according to weight. That will give her temporary relief from itching. You then can apply a mild cortisone cream, such as Sigmacort 1% or Dermaid 1% (also available over the counter), this will help with the inflammation and redness. Also, as a safe, cheap, and natural preventative, Omega 3 Fish oil 1000mg is fantastic for relieving and preventing the re-occurence of skin conditions such as eczema and psoraisis. Again, just check the dosage with the pharmacist.


Hope your kitty recovers well:)


Oops, just realised you're from the UK. So, the brand names will be different to the ones i supplied, but as far as i am aware, they are still available over the counter there. Just ask your local pharmacist to recommend something. Alot of the time, vets just use human drugs to treat conditions, but it's much more expensive.My cat has eczema and need treatment advice?
Just give your vet a call. S/he has already made a diagnosis, so it's very possible that they'll prescribe a medication that you can just pick up. While some vet medications are expensive, not all of them are. Topical medications are usually pretty inexpensive because they keep them pretty well stocked. It only gets really expensive when they have to start ordering things that they don't use routinely. Another option is to ask whether a prescription drug can be filled at a pharmacy. Sometimes you can get them cheaper there... not always, but sometimes. One of my cats was on a medication that was $160/month at the vet because it was compounded and they had to special order it each month. I found I could get the same compound at the pharmacy for less than half the cost, so my vet wrote a prescription and I had it filled from there going forward. It's also possible that they'll be able to offer an over the counter treatment that's safe. If you explain your situation to your vet, they should be more than willing to work with you. I've done all of the above in the past and my vet has always been great about working with me.
do not use human cream on your pet unless you have cleared it with your vet! talk to the vet and figure out the best, and least expensive thing to do! your vet will be understanding.
I have put human cortisone cream on my animals, you can also buy a hydrocortisone spray called pro-pet at Walmart that I use to treat my dog when he gets rashed. It's only a few dollars.
Try some neem cream. It is best! You can get it online or at health food stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment