Saturday, June 26, 2010

Toddler with Eczema of the eyelids seeking safe alternative treatment.?

My daughter, now 14 months, began symptoms at 9 months on her eyelids. It began after we came home from a trip to Disney, so we thought maybe it was due to sudden weather changes or some crazy infection from traveling or water change. But it persisted. We thought it may be an allergy so we did a deep home cleansing, used all green cleaning products, anti allergy laundry soaps, made the cat live outside and banned the dog from all rooms but the front porch, all with no relief. Used otc petroleum/mineral oil ointment with a little satisfaction at first, but then nothing. Cleansed eyes with baby soap. Pinned hair up to keep it out of her eyes and scrubbed her hands clean as though she were a girl in a bubble. Still no relief. On severe days she ends up with ';shiners';. The eyelids will pink, then purple, get shiny and sometimes get dusty dryness. They irritate her as she will rub at them like she is tired. I live in the northeast, she started in March, it's now August and the weather changes have not made any difference as far as level of irritation. The symptoms subside during sleep and graduate after she wakes up. Then on to 3 pediatrician visits, and one pediatric opthalmologist visit, to find out that it's eczema. She was written an rx for Tobradex which is a steroid ointment (tobramycin w/ dexamethasone) and it cleared. We were told if it didn't clear it up then they would prescribe an oral steroid. It did work, however upon completion of the prescribed period of time and voila, it's returning, as would a completion of an oral steroid regimen. Has anyone found a more natural approach to daily treatment? Is it worth consulting with a dermatologist? As discussed in this message reel, persistent use of steroid ointments increase blood flow to the eyes and can cause permanent damage. I want an effective and safe treatment plan. To those out there suffering from eczema my heart goes out to you.Toddler with Eczema of the eyelids seeking safe alternative treatment.?
You need to see a pediatric dermatologist if you can find one in your area. These are sometimes only available in large university medical centers. An ophthalmologist or dermatologist would do, however. Be sure to inform them of the previous diagnosis.





There is no safe ';alternative'; treatment for eczema of the eyes. Frequently, steroid treatments are the only effective treatment. Doctors are aware of the risks involved in any prescription they give. The benefits usually outweigh any risks. The risk here is the potential damage to eyesight if left untreated. Toddler with Eczema of the eyelids seeking safe alternative treatment.?
I feel for your struggle. My son suffered with severe eczema starting at 6 weeks through the full first year. Our pediatrician said he was one of the 10 worst cases of eczema he had seen in 30 years of pediatrics. After 11 Rx and 3 nonsteroidal Rx treatments that didn't work as well as 3 pediatricians and 2 dermatologists I had had enough. We were unable to kiss our baby and had to handle him gently due to the severity. Many days I didn't take him out of the house because he was so subject to infections because of his heart breaking condition.





I did find a natural treatment that was 3 fold. Arbonne Baby Care skin products, Arbonne Smart nutritional hybrid vitamins for kids, and probiotic based on a 2001 study on eczema that was published by Lancet. More about this is available through my website www.babysoft.myarbonne.com.





I do hope this information has been helpful. Considering your daughter is no where near as severe as my son I would imagine that just changing her skin care would be sufficient.





I have come to have a great passion for the Arbonne products because after taking this information and a clear baby to the dermatologist for a check up I shared with him my research and he was already familiar with it all. The unpronounceable ingredients, sulfates, low standards of quality, Ph balance vs Ph correctness, animal products, petroleum products etc... he knew all this and never shared a bit of it with me. In fact he recommended products to me that contained these known irritants. He really fired me up. My sons medical record shows that he cleared up due to Arbonne and probiotic and the Dr seemed happy for me but wasn't interested at all in sharing this information with any other patients. However, one week later at the pediatrician he asked what I had done in detail and has since researched himself and begun recommending Arbonne products to his patients.





I wish your daughter well. I'm sure she has beautiful eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment